Slow Cooker French Onion Collagen Soup
Caramelized onions, broth, and aromatics cook together in the slow cooker for a warm, cozy, flavorful soup that’s been boosted with a healthy dose of Collagen Peptides!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter
- 3 pounds yellow onions, sliced
- 5 cups chicken or beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup cooking wine
2 scoops Collagen Peptides
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 slices Ezekial or Keto bread
- 4 ounces goat cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, add the onions and stir to coat in the butter. Allow the onions to cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 15-30 minutes. If the onions are browning too quickly, turn the heat down to low.
Once caramelized, transfer onions into a slow cooker and add the broth, minced garlic, thyme, wine, Collagen Peptides, bay leaves, and salt. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, turn on the broiler and transfer the soup to an oven-safe bowl.
- Top each bowl with a slice of bread and divide the cheese evenly on top of the bread.
- Turn on the broiler in the oven and transfer the soup to bowls.
- Broil the soup until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the soup from the oven and serve.